Saturday 29 May 2010

Day 8 Tues 11th May Kilmarnock to Inverary 90 miles

I woke at dawn after a good night's sleep in our Premier Inn in Kilmarnock and decided to go for a quick walk/jog before breakfast. There was a frost but it was sunny and I came across a nice little new housing estate with houses built around a small lake with lots of tweeting birds (on their blackberries!). Had a good breakfast then as I was packed and ready I decided to set off with Jim and get a head start. We had good views over the Isle of Aran, and the coast, and all met up for coffee at Largs.


We then crossed the Firth of Clyde on the Gourock to Dunoon ferry and had lunch in a forest car park.






The scenery improved from then on till the end of the trip, and we cycled along the edge of sea lochs and up over farm and moorlands to Inverary. I cycled with 'The 4 Tops' most of the afternoon and we had an unscheduled ice cream stop at a garden centre/oyster bar.
The Argyll Hotel in Inverary was nice (pictured below). I had my own room with a sea view and we had a good meal before some of us, inc Alice, Ellen, Siobhan, Steve Hampshire, Mike and Eddy visited the George Inn, where Nicky and I went at Easter. We had a couple of drinks and it was a great end to a great day.







No comments:

Post a Comment