Sunday 18 April 2010

Training Week -3

The weather has really warmed up this week with dry sunny weather all week. I cycled to work 3 times and decided to give up spinning and gym sessions, in order to give my knees a rest. On Saturday I planned on cycling the same 42 mile ride that gave me knee pain on Good Friday, but the weather was so nice and my legs were feeling fine so I cycled on to Wallingford instead (59 mile return trip). It was great to cycle in shorts and t-shirt at last. At Wallingford I met a chap in his 60s who was on his way from Wolverhampton to Sweden, where he lived with his Equadorian girlfriend. We both decided to have our ham sandwiches and coffee on the river bank (pictured) at exactly the same time! He was an ex-copper and had done the 'End to End' ride 4 times. Although he used to race he was now on a hybrid with hub-gears (Giant Expression N7), with lots of extras, but a flask instead of a water bottle! I cycled back in the sun and my legs and knees felt fine - which cheered me up no end. I was a bit stiff this morning, but just the usual general aches, and went for a couple of walks with Nicky - again in the sun. No planes at the moment because of the volcanic ash - so the sky looks clearer than usual. I was tempted to cycle today but thought I'd better not overdo it.

I've been comparing my weekly mileage with that suggested by Discover Adventure. Mine shown in green on the graph to the left fluctuates quite a bit because of weather at the start, business travel and our Easter holiday. Generally it follows a similar trend and is often within the min and max suggested. In terms of total miles cycled I've done 1196 miles this year (cf. DA 1080 to 1460 miles recommended)

This weeks diary:
  • Mon - cycled to work (16 miles)

  • Tues - cycled to work (16 miles)

  • Wed - rest day - swam (band practice)

  • Thurs - rest day (travelled to Cambridge)

  • Friday - cycled to work (16 miles)

  • Sat - cycled 59 miles

  • Sun - rest day - walks

Total cycled: 107 miles. Weight 11st 8 lb

No comments:

Post a Comment