I talked to 4 lads in their 20s on their 4th day of JOGLE north of Oban (Loch Linnhe pictured right), who were doing the trip unsupported on heavily laden hybrid bikes (some with front suspension). They were taking 12 days plus a break mid-way to climb the 3 Peaks in the Yorkshire Dales!
After staying in quite a posh hotel in Glencoe (near where a canoeist girl was drowned in floods sadly), we travelled up through Torridon and Ben Eighe and stayed 2 nights in Ullapool and climbed Stac Pollaidh in warm sunshine - like we did about 25 years ago! The views from the top and Sutherland in general were amazing (left) .
Finally we drove over to the East coast to Nicky's cousin's place between Brora and Golspie and did some nice walks on beaches, saw some seals and generally had a good time with Nick, Jan and their 5 kids. The picture right is Dornoch beach. It's an unspoilt part of Scotland - at least in the Easter hols.... before the tourists and midges pay their summer visits.
This week's diary:
- Mon - Inverary to Glencoe (stopped at Oban, cafe and Rannoch Moor)
- Tues - Glencoe to Ullapool via Glen Torridon and Ben Eighe
- Wed - Climbed Stac Pollaidh and visited beach
- Thurs - Ullapool to Brora via Dornoch - woodland walk plus long walk at Brora
- Fri - Climbed Ben Bhraggie drove to Helmsdale
- Sat - Flew home from Inverness. Cycled 22 miles in afternoon.
- Sun - Cycled 30 miles
Total cycled 52 miles. Weight 11st 7 lb